Coach Powell Testimonials
“Andrew was truly interested in my personal improvement as an athlete. His constant attention to my training and his continuous feedback were the keys to improvement. In just six months, he brought me from scratch on the bike to completing two half ironman races.”
— Leandro Piazza, Scientist, BEST Theratronics
“The structure of the training and Andrew’s explanations of what we were trying to achieve made it much easier to understand the big picture. I learned about the different systems in the body and why it’s important to train them all—easy workouts are there for a really good reason. For the first time ever, I was training in the heart rate zones, with a plan and a purpose for each workout . . . Andrew provides the perfect amount of support. You never have doubts about how much he believes in you and your abilities. His constant positivity convinces you that you can achieve whatever you set out to do.”
— Andrew Gunn, Product Development Manager, Cobbs Bread
“Andrew is easy to talk to and very personable and social—essential characteristics for a triathlon coach.”
— Alistair Russell, Manager, Structural Performance and Engineering Systems, at CCANZ
Who Is Coach Powell?
Coach Powell, Vancouver-based & coaching online, has been involved in endurance sports for 15 years. Reach new levels of personal achievement!
Andrew Powell came to the sport of triathlon at the age of 27 and climbed quickly to a high level, racing in the Ironman and Ironman 70.3 Pro category for 3 seasons.
His late start in the sport has made him a better coach.
- He knows what it means to be new to a sport and have to learn it from scratch.
- He appreciates what it takes to train and perform at a high level.
- He understands what a well-designed, personalized program looks like.
Why Coach Powell?
Coach Powell cares about his athletes, and he goes out of his way to be there for them. He cares as much for the athlete who is racing for fitness and personal achievement as he does for the athlete who is racing to win.
Andrew’s experience and skill as a coach has helped to put many of his athletes on the podium.
- National and provincial age-group triathlon champion
- Overall winners and podium placement at triathlon races
- Multiple first-place age-category wins and podium placements for triathlon and running races
- Overall amateur podium placements at GranFondo events
Coach Powell’s Philosophy
“Thoughtful planning and scientifically proven methods are the keys to success. Coaching is much more than designing a training program. It’s about understanding an athlete’s needs and being there to support and educate the athlete. Once athletes understand the mechanics and physiology of the human body, they will appreciate the subtleties of their personal program. And with that appreciation comes real opportunity to achieve their goals.”
Coach Powell’s Qualifications and Experience
- 10 years of coaching experience
- Former pro triathlete
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) trained triathlon coach
- NCCP trained cycling coach
- Head Coach of the University of British Columbia Triathlon Team 2017-present – 2018, 2019, 2020 Regional Champions
- Former Triathlon Club board member and coach
- Former Team in Training head coach
- National age group triathlon champion (Long Course – 2014, 30-34 AG)
- Provincial overall amateur triathlon champion (Long Course – 2011)
- Kona Finisher